Quantcast

Re: gazebo_tools linking error

Benjamin Cohen
Hey Brian,

It seems like this machine has 32-bit Karmic. gold isn't installed. any other thoughts?

thanks,
-- ben

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Brian Gerkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi Ben,

I just built a fresh tree on 64-bit Karmic, and I'm unable to
replicate the problem you're having.

Are you using a different linker, gold, perhaps?

       brian.

On Jan 15, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Benjamin Cohen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed a brand new ros + pkgs tree on a machine running Karmic
> last night and I am having trouble getting gazebo_tools to link
> correctly (gazebo compiles fine).  I checked to see if the freeimage
> library is installed and it turns out that libfreeimage3,
> libfreeimage3-dev &  libfreeimage3-dbg are all installed. Any ideas
> as to how to fix this?
>
> Linking CXX executable ../bin/gazebo_model
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/
> gazebo_tools/build'
> Linking CXX executable ../bin/spawn_gazebo_model
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to
> `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [../bin/gazebo_model] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/
> gazebo_tools/build'
> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/bin/gazebo_model.dir/all] Error 2
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to
> `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [../bin/spawn_gazebo_model] Error 1
>

> thanks,
> -- ben

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established
> companies.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev_______________________________________________
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ros-users

Re: gazebo_tools linking error

John Hsu
Ben,
What revision of freeimage library do you have?
Can you post the entire compile log?
Thanks,
John

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Benjamin Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Brian,

It seems like this machine has 32-bit Karmic. gold isn't installed. any other thoughts?

thanks,
-- ben

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Brian Gerkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi Ben,

I just built a fresh tree on 64-bit Karmic, and I'm unable to
replicate the problem you're having.

Are you using a different linker, gold, perhaps?

       brian.

On Jan 15, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Benjamin Cohen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed a brand new ros + pkgs tree on a machine running Karmic
> last night and I am having trouble getting gazebo_tools to link
> correctly (gazebo compiles fine).  I checked to see if the freeimage
> library is installed and it turns out that libfreeimage3,
> libfreeimage3-dev &  libfreeimage3-dbg are all installed. Any ideas
> as to how to fix this?
>
> Linking CXX executable ../bin/gazebo_model
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/
> gazebo_tools/build'
> Linking CXX executable ../bin/spawn_gazebo_model
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to
> `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [../bin/gazebo_model] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/
> gazebo_tools/build'
> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/bin/gazebo_model.dir/all] Error 2
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to
> `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [../bin/spawn_gazebo_model] Error 1
>

> thanks,
> -- ben

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established
> companies.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev_______________________________________________
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ros-users

Re: gazebo_tools linking error

Brian Gerkey

On Jan 15, 2010, at 11:11 AM, Benjamin Cohen wrote:

> It seems like this machine has 32-bit Karmic. gold isn't installed.
> any other thoughts?

Hmm, maybe it's 32-bit vs. 64-bit; I don't have a 32-bit Karmic
machine handy to test with.

My little investigation this morning suggested that libgazebo_server
uses libfreeimage, but doesn't link to it explicitly.
libgazebo_server inherits a link dependency on libfreeimage by way of
libOgreMain.  Perhaps that indirect dependency is sufficient on 64-
bit, but not on 32-bit, but I don't know why that would be (it also
wouldn't be sufficient for gold, which is why I brought that up).

If that's the issue, then changing the build of gazebo to explicitly
link libgazebo_server (and perhaps other gazebo libs) against
libfreeimage might fix it.  That would be right thing to do, anyway.

        brian.

> [...]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ros-users

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established
> companies.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established

Hey John,

I'm thinking of putting 64-but karmic on that machine over the weekend because the student who installed the 32-bit version left after the summer. So the problem should go away.

This is what the apt-cache says about freeimage:

Package: libfreeimage3
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 3.10.0-1
 FreeImage is an Open Source C/C++ library project for developers who would like to support popular graphics image
 formats like PNG, BMP, JPEG, TIFF and others as needed by today's multimedia applications. FreeImage is easy to use,
 fast, multithreading safe, and cross-platform (works both with Linux, 32 bit Windows and Mac OS X).

below is the output from the terminal when I compiled it:

mkdir -p bin
cd build && cmake -Wdev -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=`rospack find rosbuild`/rostoolchain.cmake  ..
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
[rosbuild] Building package gazebo_tools
[rosbuild] Including /home/sloda/ros/ros/core/roscpp/cmake/roscpp.cmake
[rosbuild] Including /home/sloda/ros/ros/core/rospy/cmake/rospy.cmake
[rosbuild] Including /home/sloda/ros/pkgs/ros_experimental/rosclj/cmake/rosclj.cmake
[rosbuild] Including /home/sloda/ros/pkgs/ros_experimental/rosjava/cmake/rosjava.cmake
[rosbuild] Including /home/sloda/ros/pkgs/ros_experimental/roslisp/cmake/roslisp.cmake
[rosbuild] Including /home/sloda/ros/pkgs/ros_experimental/rosoct/cmake/rosoct.cmake
[rosbuild] WARNING: rosbuild_genmsg() was called, but no .msg files were found
[rosbuild] WARNING: rosbuild_gensrv() was called, but no .srv files were found
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build
cd build && make
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target rospack_genmsg_libexe
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target rospack_genmsg_libexe
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target ROSBUILD_genmsg_oct
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target ROSBUILD_genmsg_oct
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target ROSBUILD_genmsg_cpp
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target ROSBUILD_genmsg_cpp
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target ROSBUILD_genmsg_java
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target ROSBUILD_genmsg_java
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target ROSBUILD_genmsg_lisp
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target ROSBUILD_genmsg_lisp
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target rospack_genmsg
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target rospack_genmsg
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target ROSBUILD_gensrv_oct
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target ROSBUILD_gensrv_oct
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target ROSBUILD_gensrv_cpp
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target ROSBUILD_gensrv_cpp
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target ROSBUILD_gensrv_java
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target ROSBUILD_gensrv_java
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target ROSBUILD_gensrv_lisp
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target ROSBUILD_gensrv_lisp
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target rospack_gensrv
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target rospack_gensrv
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target rosbuild_precompile
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[  0%] Built target rosbuild_precompile
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target urdf2gazebo
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[ 33%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/urdf2gazebo.dir/src/urdf2gazebo.o
/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/src/urdf2gazebo.cpp: In member function ‘void urdf2gazebo::URDF2Gazebo::walkChildAddNamespace(TiXmlNode*, std::string)’:
/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/src/urdf2gazebo.cpp:917: warning: suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value
Linking CXX shared library ../lib/liburdf2gazebo.so
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[ 33%] Built target urdf2gazebo
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
Scanning dependencies of target gazebo_model
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
[ 66%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/bin/gazebo_model.dir/src/gazebo_model.o
Linking CXX executable ../bin/gazebo_model
/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [../bin/gazebo_model] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/bin/gazebo_model.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sloda/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo_tools/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

thanks for your help,
-- ben

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 2:23 PM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/bin/gazebo_model.dir/all] Error 2
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to
> `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [../bin/spawn_gazebo_model] Error 1
>

> thanks,
> -- ben

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established

can you remove gazebo/gazebo-svn/build/CMakeCache.txt and post the output of make in gazebo/gazebo-svn/build?
thanks,
John

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Benjamin Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/bin/gazebo_model.dir/all] Error 2
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to
> `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [../bin/spawn_gazebo_model] Error 1
>

> thanks,
> -- ben

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established

Brian,
you're right, gold doesn't like it without specifically linking against freeimage library either.  This was fixed in the new branch, but will require a patch here.
ticketing.
thanks,
John

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/bin/gazebo_model.dir/all] Error 2
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to
> `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [../bin/spawn_gazebo_model] Error 1
>

> thanks,
> -- ben

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established

ticketed (https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/3649).
can you try switching gazebo to trunk (r27235) or applying the patch attached?
thanks,
John

gazebo.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: gazebo_tools linking error

Benjamin Cohen
Thanks John & Brian. That worked out well.

have a good weekend,
-- ben

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/bin/gazebo_model.dir/all] Error 2
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to `FreeImage_Rescale'
> /home/bcohen/ros/pkgs/simulator_gazebo/gazebo/gazebo/lib/
> libgazebo_server.so: undefined reference to
> `FreeImage_ConvertFromRawBits'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [../bin/spawn_gazebo_model] Error 1
>

> thanks,
> -- ben

> Throughout its 18-year history, RSA Conference consistently attracts
> the
> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important
> issues through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established

Brian, Ben,
thanks for help with debugging.
Have a good weekend to you too.
John