Running commands as SuperUser

Alexis Cheng
Hi,

I have a couple of source files that require super user privilege. Is it possible to run commands such as rosrun as super user? I tried sudo rosrun ... and it returns with rosrun: command not found. Has anybody ran into this issue, and if so how did you get around it? Thanks for your attention.

Regards,
Alexis Cheng
Electrical Engineering
University of British Columbia

30 days of prizes: Hotmail makes your day easier! Enter now

Re: Running commands as SuperUser

Jack O'Quin
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Alexis Cheng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of source files that require super user privilege. Is it
> possible to run commands such as rosrun as super user? I tried sudo rosrun
> ... and it returns with rosrun: command not found. Has anybody ran into this
> issue, and if so how did you get around it? Thanks for your attention.

Which ones?

Why do they require root privileges?
--
 joq

Re: Running commands as SuperUser

Ruben Smits
On Wednesday 02 June 2010 22:28:19 Alexis Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of source files that require super user privilege. Is it
> possible to run commands such as rosrun as super user? I tried sudo rosrun
> ... and it returns with rosrun: command not found. Has anybody ran into
> this issue, and if so how did you get around it? Thanks for your
> attention.

We got around the problem by becoming root using "sudo su", sourcing the
setup.sh file (or any other way to set up the ROS environment for the root
user), and executing rosrun as root.

Ruben

> Regards,
> Alexis Cheng
> Electrical Engineering
> University of British Columbia

Re: Running commands as SuperUser

tfoote
Alexis,
Another way in which we did this on the PR2 in the past was to use roslaunch's remote launching capability to connect to a machine definition of root@hostname http://www.ros.org/wiki/roslaunch/XML/machine and then we setup the ssh keys to allow access.

Tully

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Ruben Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 02 June 2010 22:28:19 Alexis Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of source files that require super user privilege. Is it
> possible to run commands such as rosrun as super user? I tried sudo rosrun
> ... and it returns with rosrun: command not found. Has anybody ran into
> this issue, and if so how did you get around it? Thanks for your
> attention.

We got around the problem by becoming root using "sudo su", sourcing the
setup.sh file (or any other way to set up the ROS environment for the root
user), and executing rosrun as root.

Ruben

> Regards,
> Alexis Cheng