Simulating RGB-D sensors in Gazebo

Stefan Kohlbrecher
Hi everyone,

I recently started looking into possibilities to simulate RGB-D
sensors in gazebo. At least for the moment, I only need non-colored
Pointcloud data, so using a GazeboRosBlockLaser is sufficient for now.
I'm still wondering if that's currently the only possibility and what
other people are using.
John talked about the StereoCamera plugin available in Gazebo that
reads out the Z-Buffer here:
http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/SwissRanger-SR4000-in-Gazebo-td1969784.html
Is there a ROS plugin in the works for this?

Regarding GazeboRosBlockLaser, to make it work in CTurtle, I had to
modify the example given here:
http://www.ros.org/doc/api/gazebo_plugins/html/classgazebo_1_1GazeboRosBlockLaser.html#_details
Among others, I had to add <resRange> or Gazebo would crash, as well
as remove the  <model:physical> and <body:empty> tags. Should I open a
ticket regarding this?

regards,
Stefan

Re: Simulating RGB-D sensors in Gazebo

Andrew Mor
Stefan,

This is an issue that we are addressing right now as well.  In our simulation we have a block laser working to simulate the Swiss Ranger 4000, similar to the Kinect depth sensor but lower resolution.  It creates a serious hit in performance in gazebo, so we are looking at getting the stereo camera gazebo plugin working again.  We've found various issues in getting it to run without crashing, but still have not managed to get the valid data out of the depth buffer in orge.  John Hsu has opened up a ticket with the code we've been working on at https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4795  Please fell free to take a look, and hopefully someone will be able to make some headway in moving this along.  You can contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.  We will be picking this up again in a month or so, but for now it's been put on the backburner.

Andrew

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Stefan Kohlbrecher <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

kadir
Hi Stefan,

I'm not sure if this problem has already been solved, but I also had to add resRange property. I was wondering what you did set as the value of this property.

Thanks

-Kadir-