Status of package opende/parallel_quickstep

Status of package opende/parallel_quickstep

nickopen
Hi,

Does anyone know the status of the package "parallel_quickstep" in the opende stack?

Out of the box with a fresh checkout it seems to be missing some files and so does not compile.

Nick

Re: Status of package opende/parallel_quickstep

nickopen
I fixed it by the following change to the CMakeLists.txt:

#include_directories( ${opende_PACKAGE_PATH}/opende-svn/ode/src )
include_directories( ${opende_PACKAGE_PATH}/build/opende-wg-branch-r1758/ode/src )

I'd still like to know if its actively under development or has been brushed aside?

Re: Status of package opende/parallel_quickstep

John Hsu
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the patch.  parallel_quickstep is in the process of working it's way into the release.  But before that, we need to figure out what to do with GPGPU stack.

Which svn repository and revision did you patch against?  Can you open a ticket and attach the patch?

To test the solver with gazebo, you'll have to switch simulator_gazebo stack to trunk, uncomment the following line in gazebo/manifest.xml
   <depend package="parallel_quickstep" />

and apply the following diff to gazebo/CMakeLists.txt
-execute_process(COMMAND cmake -E chdir ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR} make -f Makefile.gazebo.tarball
+execute_process(COMMAND cmake -E chdir ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR} make -f Makefile.gazebo.cuda

Please let me know if you run into any issues.
Thanks,

John

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM, nickopen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I fixed it by the following change to the CMakeLists.txt:

#include_directories( ${opende_PACKAGE_PATH}/opende-svn/ode/src )
include_directories(
${opende_PACKAGE_PATH}/build/opende-wg-branch-r1758/ode/src )

I'd still like to know if its actively under development or has been brushed
aside?

Re: Status of package opende/parallel_quickstep

nickopen
I'll make a ticket with the patch - the svn repo was that linked to on the wiki page and the revision was as per yesterday afternoon (r32752).

I'm actually using this library independently of gazebo, for a physics plugin for OpenRAVE. I have found OpenRAVE to be a much more flexible and generally nicer environment to work in for our simulation requirements than Gazebo, especially for automated testing and trying out new ideas on the fly.

I have had some problems integrating parallel_quickstep in with the standard ros macros in the CMakeLists.txt. If I specify the package dependancies in my manifest.xml and then use the standard rosbuild_add_library() macro, it compiles fine, but segfaults on execution somewhere deep in the ode collision handling. However, if I do all the flags and linking manually in the CMakeLists.txt, it works fine. I'll look into this further to make sure I'm not doing something silly before considering opening a separate ticket.

Re: Status of package opende/parallel_quickstep

nickopen

Re: Status of package opende/parallel_quickstep

Dejan Pangercic
Naive question,
but is this package intended to make Gazebo run faster?

If not, John, are there any other plans to do so?

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:44 AM, nickopen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tecket at:
>
> https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4550

MSc. Dejan Pangercic
PhD Student/Researcher
Intelligent Autonomous Systems Group
Technische Universität München
Telephone: +49 (89) 289-26908
E-Mail: [hidden email]
WWW: http://ias.cs.tum.edu/people/pangercic

Re: Status of package opende/parallel_quickstep

John Hsu

Hi Dejan,
yes it is an attempt at speeding up dynamics simulation.  I know speed is an important feature, and have been looking at the issue closely.
John