error massage with rospack

yimeiliao
hallo,

i just installed ros on my ubuntu 10.04 netbook version. when i tried "rospack find roscpp" i got an error message

[rospack] Unable to create temporary cache file /home/waxwings/.ros/.rospack_cache.jmdWZ9: Permission denied
/home/waxwings/ros/ros/core/roscpp

is this a problem?

Regards
yimei

Re: error massage with rospack

Ugo Cupcic
 Hey,

You should probably check your permissions for the .ros folder? (ls -l
~/.ros) and modify them if you don't have write access or if you don't
own the folder.

Cheers,

Ugo

--
Ugo Cupcic         |  Shadow Robot Company | [hidden email]
Software Engineer  |    251 Liverpool Road |

Re: error massage with rospack

Brian Gerkey-2
If you don't fix the permissions as Ugo suggests, rospack will still
work correctly, but it will be slower than it could be, because it
can't cache package locations.  Depending on the size and nature of
your ROS installation, it can be important to enable caching, because
rospack is used to look up package locations very frequently,
including at run time.

        brian.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Ugo Cupcic <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hey,
>
> You should probably check your permissions for the .ros folder? (ls -l
> ~/.ros) and modify them if you don't have write access or if you don't
> own the folder.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ugo
>
> On 02/09/10 14:04, yimeiliao wrote:
>> hallo,
>>
>> i just installed ros on my ubuntu 10.04 netbook version. when i tried
>> "rospack find roscpp" i got an error message
>>
>> [rospack] Unable to create temporary cache file
>> /home/waxwings/.ros/.rospack_cache.jmdWZ9: Permission denied
>> /home/waxwings/ros/ros/core/roscpp
>>
>> is this a problem?
>>
>> Regards
>> yimei
>
> --
> Ugo Cupcic         |  Shadow Robot Company | [hidden email]
> Software Engineer  |    251 Liverpool Road |
> need a Hand?       |    London  N1 1LX     | +44 20 7700 2487
> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot

Re: error massage with rospack

Cedric Skybotix
On 09/02/10 17:17, Brian Gerkey wrote:

> If you don't fix the permissions as Ugo suggests, rospack will still
> work correctly, but it will be slower than it could be, because it
> can't cache package locations.  Depending on the size and nature of
> your ROS installation, it can be important to enable caching, because
> rospack is used to look up package locations very frequently,
> including at run time.
>
> brian.

Hi,

That actually raises a question: what is the recommended procedure on a
read-only system. Is it better to put the cache on a tmpfs mount or is
it possible to generate the cache once and for all, and use it afterward?

Thanks

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Ugo Cupcic<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>>   Hey,
>>
>> You should probably check your permissions for the .ros folder? (ls -l
>> ~/.ros) and modify them if you don't have write access or if you don't
>> own the folder.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ugo
>>
>> On 02/09/10 14:04, yimeiliao wrote:
>>
>>> hallo,
>>>
>>> i just installed ros on my ubuntu 10.04 netbook version. when i tried
>>> "rospack find roscpp" i got an error message
>>>
>>> [rospack] Unable to create temporary cache file
>>> /home/waxwings/.ros/.rospack_cache.jmdWZ9: Permission denied
>>> /home/waxwings/ros/ros/core/roscpp
>>>
>>> is this a problem?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> yimei
>>>
>> --
>> Ugo Cupcic         |  Shadow Robot Company | [hidden email]
>> Software Engineer  |    251 Liverpool Road |
>> need a Hand?       |    London  N1 1LX     | +44 20 7700 2487
>> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot

Dr. Cedric Pradalier
http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/cedricp

Re: error massage with rospack

Brian Gerkey-2
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Cedric Pradalier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That actually raises a question: what is the recommended procedure on a
> read-only system. Is it better to put the cache on a tmpfs mount or is
> it possible to generate the cache once and for all, and use it afterward?

Either one should work, though I haven't tried them.  To avoid the
chance of having stale data in the cache, I would go for the tmpfs
solution (I know that it's a read-only filesystem, but bad cached
values are a pain to debug).

Note that for the one-time cache to work, you need to set
ROS_CACHE_TIMEOUT=-1.0 in the environment.  Otherwise, rospack will
keep trying to rebuild the cache (and won't use the cached values).

        brian.

On 09/02/10 23:04, Brian Gerkey wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Cedric Pradalier
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> That actually raises a question: what is the recommended procedure on a
>> read-only system. Is it better to put the cache on a tmpfs mount or is
>> it possible to generate the cache once and for all, and use it afterward?
>>
> Either one should work, though I haven't tried them.  To avoid the
> chance of having stale data in the cache, I would go for the tmpfs
> solution (I know that it's a read-only filesystem, but bad cached
> values are a pain to debug).
>
> Note that for the one-time cache to work, you need to set
> ROS_CACHE_TIMEOUT=-1.0 in the environment.  Otherwise, rospack will
> keep trying to rebuild the cache (and won't use the cached values).
>
> brian.
> ____

Can I understand that I can run the following procedure:
set my system rw,
set my cache_timeout to something small,
run rostopic list (for instance),
set the system ro
set cache_timeout to -1
any subsequent call to ros, will then be able to use the cached data?

Thanks

--

Dr. Cedric Pradalier
http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/cedricp

Re: error massage with rospack

Eric Berger
"rospack profile" is a good command to force re-building of the cache.
--Eric

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I understand that I can run the following procedure:
> set my system rw,
> set my cache_timeout to something small,
> run rostopic list (for instance),
> set the system ro
> set cache_timeout to -1
> any subsequent call to ros, will then be able to use the cached data?

With the caveat that I've never tried it, yes, that should work.  If
it doesn't, feel free to ticket me.

And, as Eric mentioned, 'rospack profile' will force a cache rebuild.

        brian.

Re: error massage with rospack

xstgavin
I have encountered the same problem. You can solve by change the ownership of ~/.ros directory from root to your current account with the following command:

cd
sudo chown -R accountName .ros

Re: error massage with rospack

iostrowski