gmapping Scan Matching Failed

Dan Lazewatsky
Hi All -
I'm using gmapping to create some maps and getting a lot of messages
saying "Scan Matching Failed, using odometry" which is a bit
worrisome. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I might
go about resolving it?

Thanks,
-Dan

Re: gmapping Scan Matching Failed

Brian Gerkey-2
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Dan Lazewatsky
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm using gmapping to create some maps and getting a lot of messages
> saying "Scan Matching Failed, using odometry" which is a bit
> worrisome. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I might
> go about resolving it?

If it only happens sometimes, it might not be a problem.  If it
happens very frequently, then I would guess that something's wrong
with the incoming laser data or the associated transforms.  Have you
tried visualizing the laser data in rviz, in the odometric frame?

        brian.

Re: gmapping Scan Matching Failed

Dan Lazewatsky
Thanks Brian. I think there were problems both with the incoming laser
scans and the robot's odometry. We had the min and max scan angle
wrong but the angle increment correct. What's odd is that the laser
scans looked correct in rviz but were actually skewed oddly.

-Dan