package location problem

ibwood
Hi all,

This is probably a really basic question.. I created a package using roscreate-pkg, but after creating it, when trying to find the package directory (using roscd), the terminal reads that there is no such package. I can't seem to figure out the problem. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks,
Ian

Re: package location problem

Ken Conley
Is the directory the package is in on your ROS_PACKAGE_PATH?

 - Ken

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM, ibwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is probably a really basic question.. I created a package using
> roscreate-pkg, but after creating it, when trying to find the package
> directory (using roscd), the terminal reads that there is no such package. I
> can't seem to figure out the problem. Can anyone tell me?
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

Re: package location problem

ibwood
You mean in the ~/.bashrc file? It wasn't so I included the path, which worked. Thanks. Would I have to do this every time a package is not located in the ROS_ROOT?

Ian

Re: package location problem

Benjamin Cohen
Hey Ian,

ROS_PACKAGE_PATH might be set in your 'setup.sh' file that gets sourced by your bashrc. Look through your bashrc for the location of setup.sh and then edit the ROS_PACKAGE PATH to include the direction of your new package.

-- ben

ibwood
Thanks Benjamin

Re: package location problem

Benjamin Cohen
 *directory of your new package

You don't have to do it for every single package your write if you add the top level folder where they are stored. ROS looks recursively through the folders for all packages.

-- ben