python action server status

Dan Lazewatsky
Hi all -

I was wondering what the status of actionlib/action servers in python
is. The API seems to expose the necessary calls, but internally tries to
call lots of non-existent classes/function or use the equivalent C++
names instead of the python names.

Thanks,
-Dan

Re: python action server status

Alexander Sorokin
Can you be more specific?

I thought it's working. I used it in a couple actions. There's also
couple tests against it and it seems to pass them.

Now, it isn't nearly as widely used as the C++ one and less tested. It
definitely needs more tests. If you have specific use case that fails,
let me know - I'll make a test for that.

Alex

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Dan Lazewatsky
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I was wondering what the status of actionlib/action servers in python
> is. The API seems to expose the necessary calls, but internally tries to
> call lots of non-existent classes/function or use the equivalent C++
> names instead of the python names.
>
> Thanks,
> -Dan

Re: python action server status

Dan Lazewatsky
Using publish_feedback with SimpleActionServer seems to fail. Creating a
server and calling publish_feedback as follows:
self._as = actionlib.SimpleActionServer(self._action_name,
actionlib_tutorials.msg.FibonacciAction, execute_cb=self.execute_cb)
self._as.publish_feedback(self._feedback)
fails with the following error:
AttributeError: ActionServer instance has no attribute 'publishFeedback'

Code and full stack trace are here:
http://dpaste.com/hold/147551/
http://dpaste.com/hold/147553/

Could you point me to the tests too?

Thanks,
-Dan

On 1/19/10 12:15 PM, Alexander Sorokin wrote:

> Can you be more specific?
>
> I thought it's working. I used it in a couple actions. There's also
> couple tests against it and it seems to pass them.
>
> Now, it isn't nearly as widely used as the C++ one and less tested. It
> definitely needs more tests. If you have specific use case that fails,
> let me know - I'll make a test for that.
>
> Alex
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Dan Lazewatsky
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> I was wondering what the status of actionlib/action servers in python
>> is. The API seems to expose the necessary calls, but internally tries to
>> call lots of non-existent classes/function or use the equivalent C++
>> names instead of the python names.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Dan

Re: python action server status

Alexander Sorokin
Hi Dan,

The tests are in the actionlib/test/. You're right. I'll fix it and
add a test for it.

Question: Should actionlib_tutorials have tests in them? I feel like
this particular code would be good over there. On the other hand it's
testing a particular feature of the actionlib and so should belong to
actionlib tests.

Alex