sonar data for navigation stack

nitinDhiman
Hi
I am looking to establish navigation stack on pioneer3dx. For it I am hoping to generate a point cloud from sonar array readings and follow tutorial further.
Currently p2os driver is interacting with 3dx robo and is publishing sonar data.

The Query I have is "sonar ranges published by p2os are distance from sonar grid or from some central point?"
Is there any prebuilt package which I can use for this purpose?

thank you
nitin

Re: sonar data for navigation stack

Tucker Hermans
Hi Nitin,

The current implementation returns the ranges to each sonar element in the sonar array.  The sonar's are ordered in the same manner as in the robot documentation (thus for p3dx it's 0 on the front left 1-6 on the front and 7 on the front right).  When I setup the sonar message it was rather feature poor since all I was trying to do was have the robot not run into things. Going forward I think you would need to setup some frame for the sonar elements using TF.  The current SonarArray msg doesn't really work for this, since it only has one header and for your applications you will probably need a separate frame for each of the sonar elements in the array. The current pioneer urdf in p2os_urdf package has a sonar link, but it is not aware of the internal geometry of the separate sonar elements.

Feel free to contact me directly if you need help in working with the sonar code in the p2os_driver.

-Tucker

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:31 AM, nitinDhiman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi
I am looking to establish navigation stack on pioneer3dx. For it I am hoping
to generate a point cloud from sonar array readings and follow tutorial
further.
Currently p2os driver is interacting with 3dx robo and is publishing sonar
data.

The Query I have is "sonar ranges published by p2os are distance from sonar
grid or from some central point?"
Is there any prebuilt package which I can use for this purpose?

thank you
nitin

Re: sonar data for navigation stack

nitinDhiman
Thanks Tucker,
I am planning to publish static_transform_publisher for each sonar element. I am planning to have sonar_ranges listener, which will publish 8 topics, each corresponding to one element. Each topic now represent distance observed from base frame of robot. Use this data to generate a point cloud and pass this to navigation stack.
I hope this will work.
regards
Nitin